Being a Father

Father's day is upon us, and there a lot to be thankful for as father. My kids bring me tremendous joy, and fantastic challenges every day. Each of them are different in some ways, and share many similarities in many other ways. There's not a day that goes by, that I do not receive unconditional love from them, or learn something new. The blessing has been all mine.

I am confused though, when I hear someone say "I am a great father, I provide for everything that my child wants." When I ask what is everything? I generally get the same answers. Good school, nanny, nice house, great clothes, their own TV, various gaming consoles, etc. That raises an eyebrow or two from me.

One, how much time do you spend with your child, one-on-one. How many school award ceremonies do you attend? I mean really attend in person, and in spirit. When was the last time, you took your child out (just the two of you), and spent a day just hanging out. More importantly, should children get everything they want, or everything they need?

There's no doubt about the importance of the role that we play in our kid's life. If mothers are the nurturing earth, fathers are the pillar of strength, the wall of reason and the roof that protects them from harm. At the same time, if mom is the cradle of love, warmth and tenderness, dads are the spirit of discovery, adventure, risk taking and confidence.

Those qualities that fathers possess, are what shapes the mentality, responsibility and the ability of their children. What we provide then, should be more than monetary freedom. More than materialistic ventures, more than things to have.

The day we become fathers, we are given a gift. The ability to shape the future of a precious life, and indirectly, help benefit others as well. We are not here just to pay for tuition, books, games, and things, we are here to nurture, coach, guide, direct, counsel and teach by example.

Children may look to their mothers for love, but LOOK UP to their dad for leadership.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment